1. Big week for Google at I/O 2017
While there weren’t any major new product announcements, Google made it clear that they’re betting big on AI:
- Google announces over 2 billion monthly active devices on Android
- Google Assistant arrives on iPhone
- Google Wants to Apply AI & Machine Learning to All Its Products
- Google Rattles the Tech World With a New AI Chip for All
- AI-powered Google for Jobs has work for everybody
- Google is betting AI will succeed search
2. The Partnership on AI adds Intel, Salesforce and others as it formalizes Grand Challenges and work groups
In an effort to share best practices, the benefits and risks of AI, more leading tech companies have joined The Partnership on AI. The consortium is hosting the AI Grand Challenge to incentivize researchers to overcome key roadblocks and address social and societal ramifications of the field.
Musk’s non-profit OpenAI built an artificially intelligent system that detects objects in reality, observes a human demonstrating a virtual simulation then imitates the task in a real-world setting. The remarkable feature is that the imitation takes place after only one demonstration.
Where should you start in your AI strategy? Business intelligence, chatbots, localization, personalization and automation are five obvious routes. (Digital Nebula can advise you how. Place your request here for a free 30 minute discovery call.)
5. AI Success Stories From Across Industries
- DoorDash sees 25% lift from AI recommendations
- How Amazon Web Services uses machine learning to make capacity planning decisions
- Accern raises $1.2 million for AI-curated financial news
- UK insurer will use AI for claims handling
Photo Credit: Google
Want to receive This Week in AI straight to your inbox each Friday? Sign up here.